Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Good morning . . . It's Been a While

Happy Tuesday ~ it has been a while since I have posted on this blog and I do apologize.  Time to be honest.  I was having a conflict as to whether or not I wanted to continue with the support group or anything else relating to an eating disorder.  I felt burdened.  Yes, burdened.  Burdened.  Heavy.  I could not explain it.  Perhaps it was time to pass the reins on to someone else; however, I was not going to make any hasty decisions. 

I was sitting on my sofa in my family room really thinking about what was going on.  Where were these feelings coming from?  I started to pray.  I asked God for help with this decision.  Was it really time to move on?   The phone rang interrupting my talk with God . . . hmmm . . . Hello?  It was a parent . . . their daughter had an eating disorder . . . they did not know what to do . . . we talked.  At the end that parent thanked me for being there.  For listening. 

Shortly thereafter, I left for my support group meeting.  We had some new faces that night.  One mother walked in and the pain in her eyes was the same pain I saw in my own many years ago.  I had my answer. 

This was not about me.  This was about all those families who are looking for answers.  If I still allowed the eating disorder, through my help with others, to be burdensome then I had to look at my motives for helping others.  Thankfully, my family has moved past this disease.  It no longer has a hold on us, but I was still allowing it, indirectly, to yet again become a burden.  I sent it packing.  I realized that I cannot "fix" this disease for others, but I can offer them hope, an ear and a hug.  Sometimes, that is all that matters. 

No comments:

Post a Comment