Sunday, January 8, 2012

Change is Needed

Happy New Year.

I do hope this year brings some needed changes in the way society views beauty.  We are bombarded daily with the latest in beauty products that will make us beautiful, make us look younger.  We also have the diet of the week.  Let me ask you this -- when did it stop being OK for us to just be us?  When did being thin and beautiful equal happiness?  I don't own a scale and since walking alongside my daughter during her seven year battle with anorexia, I will never again own a scale.  Numbers do not define who we are.  If diets actually worked, there would not be so many of them making false promises that we will be happy if we just lost that weight.   The messages they are sending are dangerous and can lead to life threatening eating disorders.  Watch this video from the Dove Self Esteem Campaign and ask yourself:  What messages am I sending?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ei6JvK0W60I

No comments:

Post a Comment