Saturday, June 28, 2014

What ED Gave to Me



We read often about what the ED took away from us -- so much and too numerous to mention. I often think what did ED give me that may have been positive? Was there anything at all? Yes, there is.

I have met some of the most amazing people through this journey. Their courage and grace has held me in awe. My faith resurfaced, stronger. I learned a lot about myself. I got stronger in ways I never knew possible. My compassion deepened. I judge less. I accept what comes. I never, ever, ask anyone -- anymore -- if they have lost weight. It's always "it's so good to see you".

I've learned to trust less, trust more, trust me. I have learned that you cannot go through something as tough as battling ED and not be a different person on the other side. ED did give me some gifts. Not all were wrapped in pretty packages and colorful bows. Some were ugly. I learned with each up and each down. I learned what I could control and what I could not. Most times I learned I could not. I hit my knees more often and prayed for guidance and help. I talked less and listened more.
I learned that the light at the end of a tunnel was sometimes a train heading straight for me. I learned to dodge that train. I learned not to panic. I learned not to make decisions when I felt desperate. Desperation lends itself to bad decisions. I learned to reach out and really did not care how I was judged or how my family was looked upon. I learned that everyone is going through something and sometimes a smile or a small word of encouragement can change someone's day. I learned tasks can wait, but a serene walk cannot. With every step and every mistake and every heartbreak, I learned. I am still learning.

So, look for the good in this day. It's there -- buried somewhere beneath the pain and the hurt and the fear. Don't let fear be in charge. Don't let exhaustion win. Nurture your soul. Nurture your heart. Nurture your spirit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment